Tuesday, August 7, 2012

12'12'12'

Get ready for the Minnesota State Fair! And 12'12'12', an exhibition featuring twelve Minnesota artists (and their artwork).

The Minnesota State Fair's Fine Arts Exhibition always features a small special exhibition alongside the larger juried show. But this year the Fair is trying something dynamic and new. For this year's show, twelve artists are each given one day to use the gallery corner as a studio and demonstrate their artistic practice to the Fair-going public.
Photo by myprontopup on Flickr
Details

Exhibition run: August 23-September 3, 2012
Location: Minnesota State Fair, Fine Arts Center at Randall Avenue and Cosgrove Street
Abbie's day: Monday, August 27, 9 am to 9 pm

What you'll see if you visit 12'12'12' on August 27:

12'12'12' aims to make the work that artists do transparent and demonstrable. So in keeping with my creative practices, I'll present a breadth of projects. Over my 12 hours, I'll shift from the solitary labor of painting, to the text-based production of letterpress, to the intangible work of speculation, storytelling, and inquiry. And back again, as making informs thinking and thinking informs making.

My artwork on display, courtesy Groveland Gallery, is a small painting from my Deciduous Series. With intricate patterns similar in scale to miniature work, The Deciduous Series is a visual contemplation of the urban forest that grew out of my research into Dutch Elm Disease.

Throughout the day, I'll set aside my brush to operate a platen press. Lent for the day by Minnesota Center for Book Arts, this little cast iron machine dates from the 1930s. Spectators will gravitate to its ka-chunk-ka-chunk sound as proofs are pulled by hand. What I'll be making on the press is a free multiple connected to my creative practice as an amateur naturalist.

For over 2 years, I've been working on a project called Open Phenology that chronicles natural phenomena through the seasons. (Phenology is the scientific study of periodic life cycle events, such as flowering, breeding, and migration.) This project, visible to the public as Web-based documentation at openphenology.org, was conceived as an experiment to raise awareness of the senses and the ecology we inhabit. By focusing on ephemeral biological phenomena, I aim to encourage reverent stewardship of nature by re-enchanting our relationship with it.

Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment